Quiz your kids
- Night butterflies have ears on their wings so they can avoid bats.
- Monarch caterpillars shed their skin four times before they become a chrysalis, growing over 2700 times their original size.
- There may be as many as 3,000 different kinds of insects — more than all the other animal and plant species combined.
- Locusts can eat their own weight in food in a day. A person eats his own body weight in about half a year.
- The honeybee has to travel an average of 43,000 miles to collect enough nectar to make a pound of honey!
- The average housefly lives for one month.
- Some male spiders pluck their cobwebs like a guitar, to attract female spiders.
- A mosquito flaps its wings 500 times a second.
- Only male crickets can chirp.
- About 80 percent of Earth’s animals are insects.
- Dragonflies can fly up to 50 miles per hour.
- The heaviest insect in the world weights 2.5 ounces.
- A cockroach can live for up to 3 weeks without its head.
- A butterfly has its taste receptors in its feet.
- The mayfly only lives for 8 hours.
- The female black widow’s poison is 15 times deadlier than a rattlesnake.